- New York City-based restaurant Duck’s Eatery is now serving smoked watermelon.
- As a recent INSIDER video shows, the dish looks like smoked meat with a brown skin-like exterior.
- When cut into slices, however, the inside is red and resembles rare steak — but, of course, it is actually watermelon.
- The dish has quickly garnered the attention of foodies on the internet thanks to its convincing meat-like appearance.
- Each smoked watermelon costs $75, and can feed three to five people.
- INSIDER went behind the scenes at Duck’s Eatery to see how the dish is made over four to six days.
- First, the watermelon is brined in a coriander, oregano, and salt mixture, and oakwood ash — which gives the melon a skin-like crust once it’s smoked.
- After being brined, the melon is dried and smoked for half a day, and scored with a knife.
It’s then basted in olive oil, rosemary, and its own juices before being served.
- William Horowitz, Duck’s Eatery chef and owner, told INSIDER that the restaurant wanted to offer more vegan and vegetarian options.
- „We simply do the same thing we’ve been doing for thousands of years to meats but we do it to a melon,“ Horowitz told us.
He described the flavor as „smoky, savory, salty, hot, and juicy, but it’s still a watermelon.“
When INSIDER’s Herrine Ro tried it, she said: „While it doesn’t taste like country ham it also doesn’t taste like a French watermelon.“
- Watch INSIDER’s video below, and if you’re really curious, visit Duck’s Eatery to try it yourself.
For more great stories, head to INSIDER’s homepage.
Source: Business insider