- Thomas Markle claims he hung up on Prince Harry in an outlandish interview with The Mail on Sunday.
- It’s the latest in a series of media outbursts where Meghan Markle’s father has criticised the royal family for freezing him out.
- Markle says Prince Harry called him after the paparazzi scandal to say, „If you had listened to me, this would never have happened.“
- In response, Markle told The Mail he said, „Maybe it would be better for you guys if I was dead … then you could pretend to be sad,“ before hanging up on the prince.
- He also admitted that he lied to Prince Harry about staging the paparazzi photographs.
- Markle claims the interview will be his last.
The drama surrounding Meghan Markle’s father Thomas Markle has taken yet another dramatic turn.
In an interview with The Mail on Sunday, Markle claimed he hung up on the prince after a heated phone call and admitted he lied to him about staging paparazzi photos in the build-up to the royal wedding.
The Duchess of Sussex’s father said Prince Harry had advised him to stay away from the press, „He said, ‚They will eat you alive.‘ He was right.“
Markle did not follow the prince’s advice: Just a week before his daughter’s wedding, Markle was exposed for staging paparazzi photos that supposedly showed him getting ready for the wedding.
Markle told The Mail that he lied to Prince Harry about the scandal, saying he was just being „measured for a hoodie,“ in the photos.
Markle was in hospital recovering from a heart attack when the prince called him again. Markle said Prince Harry told him: „If you had listened to me this would never have happened.“
Markle said he told Prince Harry: „Maybe it would be better for you guys if I was dead … then you could pretend to be sad.“
„Then I hung up.“
But in hindsight, Markle said in the interview, he does not blame the prince for admonishing him: „I’m not mad at Harry. I’m not mad at Meghan. I love them. I wish them well. But as for the rest of it, f— it. I’m done.“
Kensington Palace declined to comment when contacted by Business Insider.
Markle’s interview with The Mail is the latest in a series of media outbursts where the Duchess‘ father has criticised the royal family for freezing him out of communication with his daughter. He claimed it will be his last.
Markle broke royal convention in a bizarre interview with ITV’s „Good Morning Britain“ in June when he told presenters he made Prince Harry promise „never to raise your hand against“ Meghan and that Harry told him to give US President Donald Trump „a chance.„
„What riles me is Meghan’s sense of superiority. She’d be nothing without me. I made her the Duchess she is today. Everything that Meghan is, I made her,“ he told the Mail. „She became the woman that she is today thanks to everything I did for her.
Markle added: „And did I get any recognition for it? Any thanks? She doesn’t even speak to me now. How cold is that?“
Source: Business insider