- The 10 most expensive watches sold at Christie’s this year ranged in price from $566,000 to $3.2 million.
- The auction house also celebrated 25 consecutive years as the leading jewelry auction market in 2018.
- Topping this list, a rare Patek Philippe wristwatch sold for a whopping $3,234,905 at Christie’s.
In a time when smartphones reign supreme, it’s fascinating to find that there are still people willing to pay a pretty penny for a good old-fashioned watch.
Whether they simply value the old way of telling time or are looking for a way to display their style on their wrist, watch buyers were willing to drop some serious cash with Christie’s this year.
In 2018, the auction house said it made $492.3 million in total jewelry sales ($484.5 million in live auction and $7.8 million online). The sales total earned Christie’s its 25th consecutive year as the leading jewelry auction market. It also saw a new record being set with a bottle of Macallan 60 Year Old selling for a whopping $1.5 million (incidentally, that bottle broke the record set by another bottle of Macallan 60 Year Old, which had sold for $1.1 million just two months prior).
Here are the top 10 most expensive watches sold by Christie’s in 2018, ranked from least to most expensive.
10. Designed and signed by Richard Mille, this rare platinum and baguette-cut, diamond-set tourbillon wristwatch sold for a cool $566,014.
9. A unique Patek Philippe chronograph wristwatch, 18k white gold and diamond-set with a degradé black dial, brought in $614,766.
8. This Patek Philippe 18K gold perpetual calendar chronograph watch with moon phases and a tachymeter scale sold for $668,862.
See the rest of the story at Business Insider
Source: Business insider